Description

The speaker will discuss the different Light Stations in Charlotte starting in 1792 when two butternut trees (Pilot Trees) on the sand bars were the first “lighthouses” for the Port of the Genesee. The current Charlotte Genesee Lighthouse Tower (1822) would be considered by some, the second light station in Charlotte. With our new 4th Order Fresnel Lens, this lighthouse has been designated a secondary aid to navigation by the United States Coast Guard. Our speaker will show a PowerPoint presentation of other light stations as they were built on the Charlotte Pier at the Mouth of the Genesee River from 1822 to the current light station on the pier which was built in 1995. A brief history of women Lighthouse Keepers in the United States.  Mr. Amato is the President of the Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse Historical Society.